A discussion: can dwarves be Templars?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A discussion: can dwarves be Templars?

Post  Halinu on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:06 pm

An idea for a character popped into my head the other day and it got me thinking: can dwarves be Templars? I know TECHNICALLY, it's not possible for them to use lyrium to track mages, as they're not affected by lyrium (normal lyrium in terms of typical usage) and LOGISTICALLY, it doesn't make sense when they don't follow the teachings of the Chantry.

HOWEVER, there could be exceptions, in theory, right? Even within Orzammar, there was enough interest that a dwarven man was attempting to set up a demonstration and hoped to open a Chantry as well. It may have been frowned upon, but some dwarves were receptive to the idea. You could even argue that surface dwarves or dwarves of common birth with no Paragon of their own could be more willing to listen to Andraste and the Chantry.

I have never heard of a dwarven Templar myself, nor could I find any information regarding any that had existed. I guess it boils down to a couple of questions: would the Templars discriminate and disallow dwarves in their ranks? And - do you need to take lyrium to BE a Templar? Could you still serve the Chantry, help apprehend mages and serve the Knight-Commander but not take lyrium?

Before I put more thought into this potential character, I'm interested in hearing everyone elses' thoughts!
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

View user profile http://bloodandashes.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A discussion: can dwarves be Templars?

Post  Kuma on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Well the way i see it a Dwarf would actually make an excellent Templar. If they were paired with another Templar, it would eliminate any issues with immunity to lyrium making them unable to track Templars. I'd think that the Templars would want dwarves too, since their natural resistance to magic would make them the perfect candidate for hunting mages.
Kuma
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faelni on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Its really a matter of opinion. I'm no expert on dwarves in the game, but I'm sure an argument could be made that some follow the teachings of the chantry. If not the dwarves from Orzammar, surface dwarves would make a good bet. As for being templars, that is why I say its a matter of opinion. Their natural resistance to magic would certainly be useful however they probably wouldn't be able to utilize the magic cancelling abilities that lyrium allows other templars to use. Personally, I don't see any issue with it being done.
Faelni
Ser Posts-A-Lot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top