Timeline mixups??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Timeline mixups??

Post  Kuma on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Alrighty, so when i first bought Dragon Age, I intended to buy Origins and DA2 at the same time. Unfortunately the store had no copies of Origins. Instead I bought Awakening and 2, assuming that Awakening contained Origins as well as the expansion (I was wrong). After I bought and finished origins i tried to pay Awakening, but it wouldn't get past "Checking Saved Data" until today when (having tried to load the game for the first time since getting internet in my new apartment) I got to finally play it!!!

Which brings me to the point of my post. I may not be entirely correct (cuz I haven't finished it yet) but don't the events of Awakening contradict the events of DA2 in a way?

Like Anders for example. When exactly in DA2 is the blight ended? Because I thought it was sometime in Act 1... but Anders meets the Warden after the blight... you meet Anders quite early in DA2... so I don't quite understand how he can be in Kirkwall, when (correct me if I'm wrong) when his meeting Hawke happens at basically the same time as meeting the Warden?

And Justice. I just got him as a character, but I've kind of read some spoilers... and at the end of the game I'm lead to believe that it says he "served the order for many years"... and yet he's inside Anders in Kirkwall... Speaking of Anders... again i just unlocked Justice... but so far judging by their banter... justice and Anders aren't exactly fond of each other.. so I don't see how they would come to inhabit the same body?

if anyone here is more familiar with the DA timeline, could you please clear this up for me? cuz its been kind of bugging me since i noticed it lol.

((Side note... freaking LOVE the references/cameos/homages in Awakening.. like mentioning Kirkwall before you visit it in DA2, the re-appearance of Wynne and Alistair... love it. makes me giggle. ))
Kuma
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timeline mixups??

Post  Halinu on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 pm

At the beginning of Dragon Age 2, Hawke and his/her family are fleeing the Darkspawn which have come to Lothering. This happens after the Warden has left Lothering and shortly before the town becomes inaccessible in Origins. So Hawke is leaving Ferelden before the Blight is over, thus why it's so hard for them to get into Kirkwall to begin with because of all the refugees coming to the Free Marches to escape the Blight.

Whether you side with the Mercenaries or the Rogue lady, your debt to them for getting you into the city is one year. Act 1 begins a year after the Blight is over in Ferelden. The events of Awakening take place a few months (I seem to remember... four-six months) after the Blight has ended.

This is where things get tricky because of the different paths you can take in Awakening. You can turn Anders away and let the Templars take him at multiple points in the game and there are other ways to permanently prevent his featuring in later chapters of Dragon Age, you would think. BioWare found ways to get around all of these different epilogue scenarios (albeit, some are sort of ... vague and shady :P). Regardless, after Awakening, he has a few good months (I would at least say three-five months) to get from Ferelden to Kirkwall.

As for Anders and Justice becoming one, they have a lot of banter together where they talk about mages and what has happened to them. Nathaniel and Justice have some party banter together that has SUPER SUPER SUUUUUPER foreshadowing of things to come.

All in all, it's hard to keep things consistent because of the type of game Dragon Age is and how your choices can change your game. It doesn't help that DA2 was really bad at showing how time had passed. It's set over the course of ten years and it didn't seem like it at all! The timeline does work out, but they didn't leave a lot of wiggle room.
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

View user profile http://bloodandashes.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:15 pm

aaaaah, right. I forgot about that one year before act 1.
Kuma
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top