Question on Magic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question on Magic

Post  Kuma on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Actually two questions:

1) are we limited to the spells we've seen in the games, or are we allowed to dream up our own creations?

2) Are we limited to just battle magic? or can we use magic in lesser degree outside of battle for like.. RP flavour type stuff. I'm thinking along the lines of in DA2 when you're looking for Anders and the Fereldans are threatening you to leave him alone and you can get Bethany to just... show a bit of magic in her hands basically. Can we do stuff like that?

Or for a more specific example, my character is a weaponsmith, and I want him to use his magic in his smithing.. like cooling metal using ice magic, stuff like that?
Kuma
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question on Magic

Post  Halinu on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 pm

These are very good questions! Magic always seems like something that is changing and evolving, especially with the combination spells to consider. Magic is also something to be discovered. I'd say that it's perfectly acceptable for you to create your own spells, as long as they are reasonable and fair and not all-powerful god-mode, you know? :] Therefore, you might want to stay away from HOLY CRAP WE'RE CONJURING METEORS OUT OF THE SKY WOOOOOAAAAAH AND DESTROY ALL OF DENERIM!!!!111

Using magic in your profession and life is also acceptable. It makes sense you would be able to use magic at any time you choose and in any fashion. HOWEVER, that being said, excessive use of magic, especially in a crowded place like Denerim would be dangerous and foolish. If someone were to SEE your character or even suspect your character of having magical abilities, you can and WILL draw the attention of the Templars, as per the RP guidelines; whether you want to or not. It makes sense in terms of lore and keeping magic a forbidden thing within the RP and something not to be taken lightly. Conversely, if you WANT to involve the Templars in your roleplay, you may make a request of our resident high ranking Templar, Ser Taunry, in this thread.

I hope this has been helpful! :D
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

View user profile http://bloodandashes.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ser Taunry on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Don't listen to her. I think you should just go ahead and use magic all the time. Especially in Denerim. Yes... so that I might hone in on your signal - MUAHAHAHAHAHA! I think that is a wonderful idea. I doubt the Chantry would even notice.

:)
Ser Taunry
Ser Templar of the Year

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Alright thanks Smile

And I intend to keep it private, only behind closed doors and stuff, but just to know that I do have a little wiggle room with rp flavor and magic and junk, is good Smile

Related question. Is there anyway to get a level of fame/respect like Mage-Hawke has in DA2, where they know you're an apostate, but let you be, just keeping an eye?
Kuma
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Halinu on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Ohh, that's also an interesting idea and concept. I think it would be something to consider later on, especially once we employ our first Story Arc. I would say depending where the story takes us and the need of the RP world, there might definitely be room for someone to rise to a level of fame or infamy. Hawke only became prominent because of his/her contribution to a city in dire need. I think the same could happen if someone could save or stop a catastrophe.

Also, I would like to take this time to mention that Grey Warden mages and Circle mages are also acceptable to apply for. A Circle mage would have to abide by Circle rules, but it's still something that may also be considered.

Oh, damn. You kind of just gave me an idea. I might make the Grey Wardens a separate group within the RP... Oh, ideas! I will post a suggestion idea later on for people to peruse and lend their voices.
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuma on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Hahaha, actually its funny, cuz while playing Awakening I was like "hmm... I wonder if its possible to apply for Warden/put character through a joining on Blood and Ashes" lol.

Circle mages: As I said, I've just recently started playing Awakening, and in it I've seen something that isn't really present in either of the other games (a tiny bit near the end of DA2, but not much in DA:O) which is circle mages being allowed to travel outside the circle (Wynne in Amaranthine, Ines in the Woods). Is this possible on here? or are circle mages restricted to rping just inside the tower? (which is how I previously thought mages lives ran.. Awakening makes me think otherwise?)

(Sorry if my questions seem annoying. New things keep popping in my head, and I figure its better to ask before I go and break rules or something lol)
Kuma
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Halinu on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:22 pm

No, these questions are great! I tried to think up as many questions as possible when making up those guides, but of course I was bound to miss some. Since we're new as well, a lot of these questions haven't been asked yet, so we have to start somewhere.

I was thinking about the Circle mage thing recently. Obviously in Origins and Awakening, we see Tranquil mages and Senior Enchanter mages (Wynne) able to go out into the world. I think it's a trust sort of thing. Obviously, the Chantry doesn't have to worry about Tranquil mages going off and casting magic and doing horrible things because that's not even a DESIRE of theirs any longer and they are just plain unable to wield magic. With Senior Enchanters, they have risen the ranks of the Circle of Magi and proven themselves dedicated to the Circle and at least... sort of submissive (I guess? Hard to find the right word.) to the will of the Chantry.

So to answer your question, I think it depends on the character and their status within the Circle. Tranquil mages might be more trusted to go out into the world to accomplish missions as they are (in theory) more easily controlled. A Senior Enchanter or Enchanter might have garnered enough trust within the enclave to be allowed out into the world in very specific circumstances, or your Circle mage character could simply ESCAPE! I think it would have to be a very clever escape plan, but it's possible. Of course, the Templars would actively be seeking you and it would be a lot easier for them to find you compared to an apostate because of your phylactery.

Just so everyone knows, the ranks in the Circle of Magi goes as follows:

Apprentice
Mage
Enchanter (teacher, of sorts)
Senior Enchanter (a select few who sit on a council - like Wynne)
First Enchanter

I would say that Enchanters or Senior Enchanters would have leave to venture outside the Tower in strict circumstances (like specific tasks or missions). Wow, sorry this was so long!
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

Back to top Go down

Post  Faelni on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am

"Bring it on, Taunry..." >_>

Faelni
Ser Posts-A-Lot

View user profile

Back to top Go down