View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tavian Valkur, Elf Mage

Post  Isindrel on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 am

Name: Tavian Valkur

Race: Elf

Birth place: The High Reaches, Tevinter Imperium

Hair colour: Blonde

Eye colour: Pale Blue

Themes: "All Evils of the World" - F/SN ost (Leitmotif) "Smash Them All" - Epic Score (Combat)

Physical description:
Tavian stands roughly 5'9", with a toned physique whose slender build still shows faint traces of his weak
and malnourished years kept locked away. His skin, hair, and eyes are still remarkably pale from the same
extended tenure, though with his freedom and growing time in Ferelden, some color has slowly begin to
return to him. Outside of his armor and among the people, he adopts a flawless facade to hide among the
elves of the city, dressing plainly as they do, his expression matching one of their usual worried or meek
emotions. Even his voice, naturally cold and direct, seems to lighten as he nervously converses with any
of the local elves in his new home. Aside from perhaps looking a bit handsome, he seems to show no truly
outstanding traits...an image he takes great care to maintain.

Appearance Pictures:
http://tinyurl.com/TavianCaptive - Tavian, prior to his escape
http://tinyurl.com/TavianDemon - Using Blood Magic

Class: Mage

Specialization: Arcane Warrior, Blood Mage

Prominent skills/spells:
Martial Combat Prowess - Unlike the more fragile and reserved numbers generally constituting the mage
orders, Tavian is no stranger to the trials and travails of physical combat at close range. His dual
specializations in both melee and the arcane, while requiring years of dedicated focus to master, are
now seamlessly blended together into a unique form that favors lightning speed and brutal tactics. The
unexpected skill has proven the downfall of many would-be assailants who rush in foolishly to interrupt
his casting, only to find themselves at the tip of a merciless blade.

Blood Magic - Through dark pacts and infernal means, Tavian has uncovered the forbidden arts of blood
magic. With this profane gift, he is able to tap into the absolute depths of power, fueling his spells
beyond the limits imposed by mana, manipulating the life forces of himself and others, and delivering swift
and nigh-unavoidable afflictions upon other living beings as he controls their blood from within.

Advantages:
Strong-Willed - Life has not been kind to the elf, but he has refused to break beneath its harsh trials,
and refuses to bend his knee ever again. A paragon of the self and pinnacle of mental fortitude, Tavian's
will is stronger than any metal. Demons find their charms gain no ground, the clever illusions and
misdirections intended to sway the dim were given no quarter, and the pragmatic elf refused to brook
the habitually sycophantic.

Driven - Great weapons are not forged from soft earth, and great destinies are not forged from soft men.
Strength, cunning, endurance, ambition...these things are required to succeed where lesser men would
fail, and Tavian possesses the qualities in spades. Extremely motivated and nigh-obsessive in his goals,
he will let nothing stand in his path. Defeat is unknown to him, there are only setbacks and temporary
obstacles to overcome.

Disadvantages:
Possessive - In the transition from slave to scion, one learns to appreciate the material comforts and
benefits that come with realized freedom and power. Tavian knows what it means to come from, and
have, nothing...and refuses to see himself succumb to such a state again. Anything and anyone he
deems his own is understood to exist beneath the blanket of his protection, whether they like it or not.
To harm these things is to invite swift wrath, and stealing from him is equally unwise.

Pragmatic - The same sense of ownership and entitlement that fuels the above quality, also permits him
to use and manipulate those possessions as he sees fit. Though certainly not inclined to mass murder or
gross displays of power, Tavian often strives for the most immediate and assured course of action, and is
living example of the phrase "the ends justifies the means". This attitude does little to foster absolute
trust in any but the devoted or intimidated, and often leaves others to give him a callous reputation.

Weapons/Armor
Tavian spent most of his life in the harsh northern lands of the Tevinter Imperium, whose continuous war
with the Qunari has greatly influenced his choice of equipment. A far cry from the ornamental weapons of
the Orlesians, the Imperium-born favors harsh and effective blades. While they are not named, it is clear
that the elf favors three distinct weapons: a sweeping, angular sword, a shorter blade, and a hooked
dagger; the former two are worn openly, while the latter is a measure of last resort hidden up his sleeve.
As if these weapons aren't lethal enough, Tavian's skilled use of blood magic can complicate
matters further, with the inflicted wounds proving quite difficult to heal.

Weapons and Armor Pictures
http://tinyurl.com/TavianSword
http://tinyurl.com/TavianBlade
http://tinyurl.com/TavianKnife
http://tinyurl.com/TavianArmor

Biography:
Tavian was born into strife, and it would serve as both the foundation and defining trademark of his life.
The child of Barrol and Felina, he was the second child born to a family of slaves. Each member knew the
burden of servitude by some measure; his father tended their master's stables while his mother saw to
owner's meals and guests. His elder sister Seras and younger sister Elinda helped their mother with the
manor's cleaning and other chores. Tavian, too young to same rigorous tasks as his father, was instead
subjected to the humiliating task of being his master's errand boy and general aid...a task that often left
him to the whims of an uncaring and fickle man, who would occasionally send the young boy to fulfill
impossible requests, simply for the pleasure of punishing his unavoidable failure.

As the boy matured, it was decided that he should find more ways to serve his Tevinter masters; in this
case, he would aid in the fight against the Qunari. From the lowly ranks of those "honored" to clean up
after the officers and their horses, to page, and finally, to front-line assault, Tavian managed to answer
every demand made of him, rewarded with duties that took him further from home and closer to death. It
was at a battle on the shores of Seheron that the elven child's powers first manifested, a display of pure
arcane strength in a moment of highest desperation, that ravaged ally and foe alike before the elf finally
collapsed to the cold ground, unconscious. When he awoke, he was no longer in the fields of battle, nor
was he home; darkness and a stone prison were all that greeted him.

Judgement had been passed by military council, and Tavian's fate was once again beyond his control. A
slave, the young elf was deemed unfit to deserve the proper rites and ceremonies that would grant him
ascension into the lofty station of the Tevinter mages...but the council members were not fools, and had
already seen that he could be of use. Too valuable to execute, yet unworthy to train, imprisonment was
his sentence; and he served it with unquestioning silence for more years that he could count. Trapped,
waiting to be of use, to once more see the light and follow the only path he knew...to serve...the day
news finally came was far from what he'd hoped.

He was, at last, to be killed. The warden of his cage had died, and in the great shift of leadership, it had
seemed that any records or plans for Tavian had been long ago filed away and forgotten. Now, in effort
to increase morale and efficiency, loose ends were being systematically trimmed. His future erased and
his fate sealed, the elf was without hope or direction...and with all other aspects of his life taken piece
by piece, he found that he was left with only a new and growing emotion: hate. It stirred within, brought
with it flashes of things he'd never known; rebellion, outrage, envy. And once he had come to embrace
these feelings, something else came to him.

It promised power and freedom, and the strength to stand against any who would use and discard him
for their own ends. "Give yourself to me, and together, we will make them pay." But Tavian had heard it
all before, the encouraging calls of a master to an eager dog, and he would not submit. "No. I am already
lost, and bowing to you is simply another death. I have nothing left to lose, then. So you will serve me,
or you will wither in your own cage as I have." The demon could not break him, and so it joined with the
elf to glean what it would from the waking world of mortals. When his jailors arrived, their deaths were
quick and violent, the messy, unskilled work of a creature that did not yet know its own strength. So too
were those of the guards, the prisoners, the staff...any who crossed him in his mad and frenzied escape.

Free from his prison, he was at his own designs for the first time in his life. He could not return to home,
nor was he sure he wanted to; the old master would surely see him killed, and he had little doubt that his
family would do little to stop it. For now running was the only option, and so he did just that, away from
the war and the Qunari and the Imperium. The merchants of Antiva sickened him, their guilds seeming far
too similar to those of the powerful mages as their influence crept into all aspects of life. Ferelden, then,
was where he stopped...not without its own corruptions, but far easier here to blend in, and hiding his
true nature among the downtrodden elves here was an act he could manage remarkably well. Biding his
time and making plans, a new goal was formed with the rumors of an escaped and dangerous mage; a
story not too unlike his own. He would strike as well, and with attentions divided, make his first attack at
a world that owed him much.

Personality
Tavian's personality is complex, and the facets of it that he projects vary greatly depending on his
present company. He is, at all times, very serious; his views and methods leave little room for joking or
nonsense, and at best he may occasionally delve into a bit of black humor at someone's expense. This
does not mean that he is necessarily cruel or psychotic, however, and in fact he can be quite loyal to
those he considers allies; he is also known to treat worthy adversaries with respect. Similarly, the elven
visionary operates within his own strict moral code, and is not above such concepts as mercy or fairness
if he judges the circumstances to allow for it, and if it does not interfere with his plans.

Last edited by Isindrel on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Isindrel
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tavian Valkur, Elf Mage

Post  Halinu on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 am

I totally had plans for an Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage from Tevinter, myself. I'm not even joking! What're the odds, right?

I only have one issue that I'm concerned with, while looking over your application. I understand Tavian's strong will, but I'm not sure I agree with the ability to summon demons. From what I've ascertained from the series, it's not an easy task to actually summon a demon from the Fade. Sure, go and get yourself possessed and it's not a problem but actually ripping them from the Fade and having the SHEER WILL to actively control them, and often, seems farfetched to me. I mean, look at Avernus at Warden's Keep and what happened in that regard.

I'm willing to concede that occasionally he may be able to summon a lesson demon/henchman-type demon and control them for a limited time, but I think if it was at no great cost or effort to him, it might become a bit overpowered. That's my opinion on the matter.

I know you're not done, but it looks pretty good so far, except for my above concern.
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

View user profile http://bloodandashes.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Isindrel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:05 am

Regarding your concern, I'm perfectly fine with ditching that aspect; I'd intended to use it mainly to flesh out his skills/abilities since I'd only listed two, and give him a source of disposable minions (since traditional necromancy never made a huge appearance in the game). In its place, I can simply focus on added abilities inherent with blood magic (bleed damage vs. enemies, maybe the ability to use his own blood as a weapon, etc.) if that's fine with you. Let me know what you think, and I'll finish up the creation process.
Isindrel
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Halinu on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Yeah, that sounds fine. Don't feel pressured into expanding on abilities, as sometimes the more detailed abilities might arise with actual roleplay. :] You can always go back to your character profile and edit as your character evolves. Feel free to go into detail about what kind of blood magic he practises. It's okay if he only has a couple of abilities!
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

Back to top Go down

Post  Isindrel on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Profile updated to reflect noted changes. Ready for approval.
Isindrel
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Halinu on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:32 pm

This application is very well-written! I only have one question/clarification. In regards to Tavian's escape from prison - "The demon could not break him, and so it joined with the elf to glean what it would from the waking world of mortals." - so is it a momentary pact of destruction or voluntary possession, with Tavian still in the driver's seat? You don't mention the demon again, so I just wanted to clarify that point. :]

If it is Tavian is possessed but due to his resilience and strong will, he is the dominant one, that is fine. Though possession would take its toll on anyone and even the greatest resolve would falter eventually. It doesn't have to be any time soon, especially if the possession is fresh, but I kind of see it like trying to stay above the surface while you tread water. The fatigue of the exertion of staying in control will eventually catch up with you and that is when the demon would strike.
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

Back to top Go down

Post  Isindrel on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 am

Ah, sorry for the confusion. It's a little of both, leaning stronger to one side or the other at times, and I'll do my best to clarify that here. The demon is still there, but for the most part, is....well, not content to let Tavian run things....but forced into dormancy. When the elf taps heavily into his powers, fighting at full potential, or starts feeling certain emotions very strongly, the demon uses that chance to manifest itself more strongly. The good news is, Tavian is able to force it back into submission with some concentrated effort. The bad news is, while the demon is closer to the surface, Tavian becomes a lot more dangerous to those around him (great against enemies, but bad for allies). Also, it presents something of a trade-off: the more freedom he gives the thing, the more powerful he becomes....but the less in-control he is. The latter part of that is a very big issue; Tavian's a control freak.

And thank you for the compliment! It's been awhile since I created a character for anything, I was hoping I wouldn't be too rusty.
Isindrel
Nug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Halinu on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification! Sounds good and makes sense. Welcome to the RP!

APPROVED!
Halinu
The Mod of Many Mages

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top